Today is Ada Lovelace Day!
A few months ago, I made the Ada Lovelace Day pledge to write a blog post on the 24th of March about a woman excelling in technology. I really wanted to write about someone whose work I’ve admired for a while, but of course, being an eyewear site, I also wanted to post about someone who wears glasses. So let me tell you a little bit about danah boyd. …and I’m not actually going to write about her glasses at all!
Danah is a Researcher at Microsoft Research New England and a Fellow at Harvard Law School’s Berkman Center for Internet and Society. She says, “My research examines social media, youth practices, tensions between public and private, social network sites, and other intersections between technology and society.”
Here are some entries from danah’s blog that I’ve found interesting recently:
- A random act of kindness
- Post-Prop 8: seek an education-based reversal, not a legal challenge
- Reflections on Lori Drew, bullying, and solutions to helping kids
- Putting Privacy Settings in the Context of Use (in Facebook and elsewhere)
- I will be joining Microsoft Research in January
- Dionysus and the Amethyst Initiative
- Using Facebook while ill
…and her ‘best-of’ list of posts.
Also, if you were a female geek online several years ago, you probably encountered her Ani DiFranco lyrics site!
If you keep a blog too, I’d like to encourage you to write a post today about a woman in technology.